Director of Surveys, Data and Analysis
Department: Survey Research Centre
Application deadline: 19 March 2018
We believe passionately that our social research has the power to make life better.
We are Britain’s leading Centre for independent social research with almost 50 years’ experience of delivering high quality research about British society. As a not-for-profit charity, we carry out research into all areas of social policy, including health, crime, education, employment, travel, social attitudes and families.
The 2017 general election, the campaigns on UK membership of the European Union and Scottish Independence exposed widespread differences of opinions and experiences across the UK. This combined with an increasing thirst for information on all aspects of UK society puts us in a critical position to inform and influence policy and decision makers.
This is hence a very exciting time to join NatCen and an opportunity for a talented, motivated, innovative and experienced leader to become a member of our Leadership Team to play a key role in taking NatCen forward in line with its strategy “Towards 2025”: http://natcen.ac.uk/about-us/our-strategy/.
About the post
We require a Director who can:
- Be an integral part of our corporate leadership team;
- Develop and oversee our data sources, analysis and transformation plans;
- Provide leadership of our Survey Research Centre, retaining its reputation as a centre of excellence for the delivery of large household surveys; and
- Inspire change as we extend our focus beyond social surveys to a broader remit on sources and data more widely.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Contributing strong leadership at a corporate level, including as a key and integral member of our Leadership Team;
- Overseeing our Survey Research Centre, including winning the bids for our core multi-year surveys and meeting testing revenue targets;
- Providing a strong focus on quality, including mitigating against errors and actively seeking and achieving improvements in survey response rates;
- Planning for the future including assessing the implications of the potential move to “Web First” as the main means of social data collection;
- Transforming our survey offering so that we build an impressive portfolio of multi-mode surveys and can deliver them efficiently;
- Pro-actively diversifying your command into new fields and products, including the use of new sources (administrative data, big data), new topic areas, new methods and analysis, and new customers from a broader range of sectors;
- Ensuring that we are cost effective and efficient in the way we conduct our research, constantly challenging the status quo;
- Being commercially minded with the ability to assess and take risks.
About you (person credentials)
To succeed in this role, you will need to demonstrate:
- Proven leadership and management skills, including the ability to set direction and successfully lead and inspire large teams;
- Excellent financial management skills including the ability to operate in a commercial environment with income targets and a need to win new business;
- Experience at setting demanding quality standards and tracking teams against those standards;
- A good knowledge of surveys and sources, data and analysis;
- That you are driven by an understanding and passion for high quality data collection;
- That you are pro-active and able to direct and inspire change;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
For a detailed job decription, please click here.
To apply and for more information:
For further information, please follow the link and for a confidential discussion please contact Kirsty Herrington Kirsty.email@example.com or telephone her on 020 7250 7068.
To apply, please send a CV and a covering letter (maximum of two A4 pages) outlining how you meet the person credentials by email to firstname.lastname@example.org copied to Kirsty.email@example.com.
We actively encourage flexible working and welcome part-time (minimum of 4 days a week) or job share applications.
Closing date for applications will be Monday 19th March 2018.
We are intending to hold interviews the week commencing 16th April 2018.