Depth interviewing skills
This two-day course gives participants an understanding of, and
experience in using, the skills and techniques involved in
conducting qualitative interviews to a high standard. It will be
delivered via a combination of taught and practical sessions. The
trainers all have extensive experience of conducting in-depth
interviews for qualitative studies.
Course content covers:
- the depth interview in social research
- in-depth interviewing skills: active listening, open
questioning and probing techniques
- designing and using a topic guide
- interviewer attributes
- managing the interview process
- considerations before the interview
- stages of the interview
- working with specific populations, dealing with sensitive or
difficult topics and situations
- practical interviewing issues
Who is it aimed at?
This is an intermediate level course, which requires some prior
knowledge or experience of conducting qualitative research.
You will find the course useful if:
- you are relatively new to qualitative research, or just
starting to conduct in-depth interviews
- have experience of doing qualitative interviews but lack
- you commission or manage qualitative research in central or
local government, health or other applied sectors.
By the end of the course, participants will be:
- able to locate where the in-depth interview sits on the
continuum of interview approaches
- able to identify the key features and objectives of in-depth
- familiar with, and able to put into practice, the essential
skills of in-depth interviewing: active listening; open questioning
- able to design and use a topic guide
- able to explain the attributes which are required to fulfil the
- able to demonstrate awareness of, and competence in, different
aspects of managing the interview process
- experienced in conducting in-depth interviews through the
practical sessions included in the course.
Cost and booking
The full price of this course is £650.
We offer discounts to students, academics and those working in the
Participants will be limited to a maximum group size of 12.