The analysis of qualitative data
This two day course is designed to equip participants with a
clear understanding of the principles and practice of high-quality,
rigorous qualitative data analysis. Participants will also be
introduced to 'Framework', an approach to qualitative data
management which has been developed at NatCen.
Course content covers:
- the key stages and objectives of the analytical process in
- the range of approaches to qualitative data analysis
- the qualitative analytical hierarchy
- tools for qualitative data management
- using Framework for data management
- developing the conceptual framework for analysis
- thematic analysis for qualitative data
- introducing typologies in qualitative research
- the nature of associations and explanations in qualitative
- searching for associations and explanations
- drawing wider inference from qualitative data
Who is it aimed at?
This is an advanced level course. It assumes a basic understanding
of qualitative research design - especially sampling.
If you are new to qualitative research, we recommend that, as a
minimum requirement, you do our course, Qualitative research
You will find this course useful if:
- you are an experienced qualitative researcher who wants to
learn new skills in qualitative data analysis or to broaden and
refresh your existing skills
- you are experienced in other aspects of qualitative research
but are new to the analysis of qualitative data
- you commission or manage qualitative research in central or
local government, health or other applied policy sectors and need
to understand the qualitative data analysis process.
By the end of the course participants will:
- be able to recognise the range of approaches to qualitative
data analysis (QDA)
- be able to describe key stages in the analytical process in
- be able to describe and use the Framework approach to QDA
- have experience of designing an analytical framework for a
- have gained experience of interpreting qualitative data from
- be able to describe the factors which can affect the
'generalisability' of qualitative data
- be able to evaluate the quality of qualitative analysis
presented to them.
Cost and booking
The full price of this course is £650.
We offer discounts to students, academics and those working in the