About the Hanen Learning Language and Loving It
Evaluation of Hanen Learning Language and Loving It
We are evaluating Learning Language and Loving It – The Hanen Program® for Early Childhood Educators (Hanen LLLI). This program aims to help early year practitioners enhance children’s communication and language skills through specialised ways of interacting and communicating with children during normal daily routines.
Our evaluation will be a randomised controlled trial of the effect of Hanen LLLI on the language attainment of 3-4-year-old nursery children in the North-West of England.
What is the evaluation looking at?
The evaluation comprises two parts, an impact evaluation and a process evaluation.
The impact evaluation aims to answer the following questions:
- What is the impact of Hanen LLLI on the language attainment of 3-4 year-olds?
- Does the impact of Hanen LLLI differ by Early Years Pupil Premium status?
A process study will be carried out alongside the impact study which will look to answer the following questions:
- How is Hanen LLLI delivered, and what are the facilitators and barriers to delivery?
- What are the perceived benefits of the program for EY practitioners, nurseries and children?
- What is the per-pupil cost of the intervention?