Information for line managers and senior staff
Taking part will involve a telephone interview with a researcher from NatCen, or a face-to-face interview if you prefer. Face-to-face interviews would take place at your workplace, in a private setting.
For senior staff with responsibility for organisational policies, interviews would last up to:
- 60 minutes for those in organisations where employees have taken up either Shared Parental Leave or Flexible Working
- 40 minutes for those in organisations where employees were eligible but have not taken up the policies
For line managers, interviews would last up to:
- 40 minutes for those managing employees who have taken up either Shared Parental Leave or Flexible Working
- 30 minutes for those managing employees who were eligible but have not taken up the policies
If your organisation employs staff who have taken up Adoption Leave and Pay or Unpaid Parental Leave, interviews with senior managers will last a further 10-15 minutes.
What will we discuss in the interview?
During the interview we will ask you about:
- Your workplace and your role within it
- Your workplace policies on Shared Parental Leave or Flexible Working
- Employee take-up of Shared Parental Leave or Flexible Working
- Your views of how the policies affect employees and employers
If your organisation employs staff who have taken up Adoption Leave and Pay or Unpaid Parental Leave, we will ask senior managers about this too.
While you do not need to prepare, you may wish to know that we will ask senior managers for factual details about workplace size, staff profile and HR function. It therefore may be useful to have this information to hand. Line managers will be asked to discuss a real example.
How we will use what you say?
We will write a report about the issues that you and others have spoken about for BEIS. We will make sure that you cannot be identified in the report by anyone outside your workplace. A researcher will check that you are comfortable with your contribution at the start and end of the discussion.
The discussions will be confidential. Outside of the individuals taking part at your workplace, the identities of those taking part will be known only to members of the NatCen research team and our recruitment agency, QRS. Information about the identities of those taking part will not be shared with BEIS or anyone else.
Why have I been selected to take part?
We’ve contacted you because your organisation previously took part in the Management and Wellbeing Practices Survey and agreed to be contacted again about research on related topics. We chose your organisation based on its size and sector, to make sure we include individuals working in a variety of workplaces in the UK.
What will I receive for taking part?
As a token of our appreciation for your time, we will be offering you a £20 voucher.